Subject: Re: mt(1) doesn't report file number?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/22/2002 15:22:11
On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:32:52PM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> The NetBSD driver could probably use the level of effort I put into the
> FreeBSD driver- if not more. But, folks, I have a very limited amount of time
> to spend on this these days (parenthood struck)- so don't expect *too* much.

Definitely.

This is a serious limitation with NetBSD.

If you cannot handle it, maybe we need to look for someone else.
I have seen some businesses dump NetBSD because of tape driver issues.
Some might be willing to fund a driver, I don't know.

Would it be worth building a small team (<4 people) to do the necessary
work?

I've been wanting some things fixed for a long time now, and I've been in
places where the tape driver was a show-stopper for NetBSD. Of course,
ultimately there are choices available that don't hurt the project in
question (FreeBSD, Linux, etc.) but it would be nice to see tape support
in NetBSD match the others.

No doubt you are busy, but maybe you could just review the code done by
someone else or a team?  You are a bottleneck right now, but maybe we
could start asking for someone else to take over, or at least take the
pressure off of you.

Just rambling for a bit... I'd like to do the work myself, but I lack
the equipment and the know-how.

Question: outside of the QIC issues, how much work is involved in
additions like block/file number counts and other status information
that has been requested?

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com