Subject: Re: mt(1) doesn't report file number?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/21/2002 13:32:52
On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 7:33 Uhr +1100 21.3.2002, rmcm@compsoft.com.au wrote:
> >Matthew Jacob writes:
> > >
> > > Interestingly enough, I even *have* such a beast.
> > >

> >Excellent - also, a similar patch (not submitted) is required for
> >SL/7. I can submit if needed.
>
> ME-TOO.   ;)
>
> Tandberg SLR4, SLR5, SLR60. There are two distinct issues here for QIC
> derived drives:
>
> o  support for variable block length (which all the SLR models do just
> fine, and which st(4) does not even read for QIC)

I really have problems with variable mode emulation in QIC drives. I really
think it's a bad idea. I kow lots of people would disagree.

> o  1FM@EOT vs. 2FM@EOT (which is relevant for writing more than one file on
> a tape -- think 'Amanda')
>
> Matthew, if you are interested, I can send you the patches I use at work
> (and will have to re-apply soon when I upgrade the machine's kernel).

Amanda is broken in lots of interesting ways. Send patches if you like.

The NetBSD driver could probably use the level of effort I put into the
FreeBSD driver- if not more. But, folks, I have a very limited amount of time
to spend on this these days (parenthood struck)- so don't expect *too* much.

-matt