Subject: re: improving ssh performance on sun4m systems
To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/17/2002 00:15:15

   I was afraid of this after noting a few interesting test results.

   -mv8 enables the instruction set, -mtune=supersparc enables the
   instruction ordering (anything else?), and -msupersparc does both.

   I think cpuflags should really issue the latter, because what it
   does say, -mcpu=supersparc, is only the v8 instruction set.

i think this is really a confusion caused by GCC itself;  it has
slowly changed what it wants you to use over the years.  "-mv8"
would probably not be accepted today, and is only retained for
backwards compatibilty.  indeed, cpuflags should use

	-mcpu=xxxsparc -mtune=xxxpsarc

for appropriate "xxx".