Subject: Re: Does anyone know what the maximum hard drive
To: Andrew Basterfield <list@lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Geoff Blake <geoff@palaemon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/16/2002 18:06:37
On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Andrew Basterfield wrote:

> I was a little unclear, I meant in the context of a full modern 160Mb/sec
> system. The 160Mb/sec SCSI doesn't run at 160MHz because it is wider than
> the 8 bits of the old sparcs - I think 160Mb/sec is ultra-wide ie. 32bits,
> so it would only need to run at a sensible 40MHz. Could you imagine trying
> to get reasonable propogation characteristics at 160Mhz from unscreened
> ribbon cable? If you want to go faster than this there are (mainframe)
> devices that talk SCSI-over-FDDI but then you're back to a serial data
> stream.
>
> NetBSD dmesg reports my SCSI (on my SS2) to be clocked at 5Mhz wheras
> OpenBSD reports it clocked at 7 point something MHz. It should be SCSI-2
> (fast) == 10Mhz. Am I missing something?

Hmm, I (conveniently?) forgot that the 160Mb/sec was UW.... but is it
actually 160MB/sec, i.e.MegaByte/sec as opposed to Megabit/sec
(Mb/sec). I don't know!

As to shoving data down ribbon cable at high rates, it is (has been)
done at clock rates >> 100MHz. The systems treat the ribbon cable just
as a transmission line, and the PCB tracks just the same. With
computers using databus's up to 400MHz and faster, the PCB designer is
having to learn from the stripline designers song-sheet!.

Geoff
--
    Geoff Blake	              Please reply to:		Using Linux on
    Chelmsford		geoff (a) palaemon . co . uk	Intel & NetBSD

    This  E-mail  and any attachment(s) is strictly confidential and is
    intended solely for the  addressee(s). If you are  not the intended
    recipient please notify <postmaster@palaemon.co.uk>  and the sender
    by return and permanently delete the message. You may not disclose,
    forward or copy this E-mail or any attachment(s) to any third party
    without the prior consent of the sender.