Subject: Re: improving ssh performance on sun4m systems
To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/16/2002 10:18:00
On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> -mv8 enables the instruction set, -mtune=supersparc enables the
> instruction ordering (anything else?), and -msupersparc does both.
>
> I think cpuflags should really issue the latter, because what it
> does say, -mcpu=supersparc, is only the v8 instruction set.

	'-mcpu=supersparc' should be synonymous to
	'-mcpu=supersparc -mtune=supersparc'. From 'info gcc':

`-mcpu=CPU_TYPE'
     Set the instruction set, register set, and instruction scheduling
     parameters for machine type CPU_TYPE.  Supported values for
     CPU_TYPE are `v7', `cypress', `v8', `supersparc', `sparclite',
     `f930', `f934', `sparclet', `tsc701', `v9', and `ultrasparc'.

     Default instruction scheduling parameters are used for values that
     select an architecture and not an implementation.  These are `v7',
     `v8', `sparclite', `sparclet', `v9'.

     Here is a list of each supported architecture and their supported
     implementations.

              v7:             cypress
              v8:             supersparc
              sparclite:      f930, f934
              sparclet:       tsc701
              v9:             ultrasparc

`-mtune=CPU_TYPE'
     Set the instruction scheduling parameters for machine type
     CPU_TYPE, but do not set the instruction set or register set that
     the option `-mcpu='CPU_TYPE would.

     The same values for `-mcpu='CPU_TYPE are used for `-mtune='
     CPU_TYPE, though the only useful values are those that select a
     particular cpu implementation: `cypress', `supersparc', `f930',
     `f934', `tsc701', `ultrasparc'.

	I tend to build userland and all packages with cpuflags on
	all my boxes. I haven't come up with a clean way to handle
	it automatically in kernel builds, so I just tend to go
	with adding 'makeoptions     COPTS="-O2 -mcpu=supersparc"'
	or similar by hand to the config.

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --