Subject: Re: improving ssh performance on sun4m systems
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/15/2002 10:33:16
On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 09:38:35AM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Emiel Kollof wrote:
>
> : > so gcc is obviously producing much better code on this machine when
> : > -mcpu=supersparc is used.  and this is with the older compiler...
> :
> : With all the speed increase due to a simple tuning option in gcc:
> :
> : Would it be an idea to release a SS5/SS10 optimized snapshot somewhere?
>
> I can pretty much assume that 80%+ of the speed increase is due to using the
> mul/div v8 builtin.  This speed can be achieved without a completely
> separate snapshot by implementing the libc v8 extension I mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure that's all of it, because programs not using that at all are
getting boost, though that might just be from instruction reordering.
At least, that's what the assembler output is showing.  A decent sized
program is a bit too much to analyze, at least for me, but I'm pretty
sure even without mul/div being used a lot, the speedup is there.

In any case, the library extension you mention will not speed up the code
outside of the libraries.

I'm willing to tar up my bin directories for anyone that wants them.

Given time, I could also package a lot of /usr/pkgsrc.  However, this
would be better done by someone with a much more powerful machine.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com