Subject: Re: Does anyone know what the maximum hard drive
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Andrew Basterfield <list@lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/15/2002 07:52:14
On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:23:37 -0800
"Aaron J. Grier" <agrier@poofygoof.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 12:47:49AM -0500, Rafael Hinojosa wrote:

> the SS2 has 50pin connectors.  it has two of them and uses a stubby (2"
> or so) long ribbon cable for each of them.  I'm not sure how sun gets
> away with having three connectors from a single SCSI controller. (two
> internal, one external)

The internal part of the chain is terminated on the motherboard, the two
internal sockets act just like connectors on a normal SCSI cable. The SCSI
bus frequency is low enough and the drive cable stubs are short enough to
not to cause significant reflection and interference with operation of the
SCSI bus. You definately should not try this with 160Mb/sec SCSI disks, or
try to plug a long SCSI cable into a motherboard socket! The external SCSI
port does not require termination if there are no devices present, I
presume there is some magic on the motherboard that automatically
terminates that end of the bus if it can't see some termination outside
the box already.

-Andrew

--
sparc sun4c stuff : http://www.lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk/sparc
personal email    : bob at lostgeneration dot freeserve dot co dot uk