Subject: Re: Does anyone know what the maximum hard drive
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/14/2002 23:23:37
On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 12:47:49AM -0500, Rafael Hinojosa wrote:

> I think the SparcStation 2 has room for 2 hard drives.  I'm not sure
> if the SS2 has 50-pin SCSI connectors or the SCA connectors like the
> SS5.  Okay, if your getting drives from 411 cases, then it must be a
> 50-pin connector.

the SS2 has 50pin connectors.  it has two of them and uses a stubby (2"
or so) long ribbon cable for each of them.  I'm not sure how sun gets
away with having three connectors from a single SCSI controller. (two
internal, one external)

you'll need little "sleds" to mount the drives on.

> You can pretty much fit any size drive in them.

most of my sparcs have ~500mb full-height toshibas and seagates.

> Also, large 50-pin hard drives are becoming very hard to find.  All of
> the major manufacturers are only marking 9 Gig (if that) and 18 Gig
> 50-pin drives, and they are expensive.

it might be possible to squeeze in an SCA drive with an SCA to 50pin
converter on it, if the 50pin and power connectors are at the middle or
top of the converter.

> As far as power is concerned, newer drives consume less power that
> older ones.  You can install 2 drives in the case and you'd still be
> okay.

there's also a 50mm fan in the front that blows air out the bottom of
the case.  you could easily replace it with a more powerful fan twice
the height, say 40mm, which would pull a lot more air through the case,
if you're worried about heat.

      "[...] I generally haven't found IDM guys to be very good
       live acts, most of them just sit down at their laptop and
       tweak reaktor."  -- Brandon Daniel