Subject: Re: Kernel crashed, what now?
To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/07/2002 20:29:16
Re: makeoptions    DEBUG="-g"      # compile full symbol table

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 07:20:38PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 01:14:52PM -0800, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
>
> > by itself, it doesn't.  the build process builds netbsd.gdb and then
> > strips it, and that's the kernel you run.  (the stripped version.)
>
> Um... you sure about that?  Most of the time even after stripping the
> code, it's still slower, unless the kernel tells gcc something that
> makes it otherwise.

all makeoptions does is pass extra flags to gcc invocations when
compiling.  it doesn't change any of the compiled code -- just adds the
debugging symbols.

on the other hand,

options DEBUG

pulls in extra code, which could definitely slow things down.

      "[...] I generally haven't found IDM guys to be very good
       live acts, most of them just sit down at their laptop and
       tweak reaktor."  -- Brandon Daniel