Subject: Re: big drives on an SS5
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/04/2002 01:49:15
>> Wouldn't it be easier just to have more than one partition (!!?)

It would be easier in that it would work with the ROMs.  It would be a
good deal more of a pain, though, as it would mean I'd be stuck
splitting up the available disk space, instead of not running out
anywhere until I'm really out.  (In some environments that's a bad
thing, but on a basically single-user system run the way I want to run
this one, it's a good thing.)

> Unless you don't want to manage more than one partition.  Or you want
> a >2GB swap partition starting at the beginning (fastest part) of the
> disk.

I haven't done enough testing to be sure, but I _suspect_ that it's 2G
from the beginning of the partition, not from the beginning of the
disk.  (It's not the 6-byte-CDB limit, which _is_ from the beginning of
the disk; that limit is the 1G mark, and exceeding it on ROM revs with
the bug simply wraps around, using the low 21 bits of the block number,
unlike the syndrome I'm seeing, which is just refusing to read.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign