Subject: DEC vt510 as the console
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Young, Julian <Julian.Young@nl.compuware.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/01/2002 11:10:24
I have been trying to yes a real DEC vt510 as the console on a sparc
classic, but I seem to be getting termcap problems.  ( I am using  1.5.2  as
released - not mods yet)     What happen is when I try to vi a file with say
10 lines of text the screen clears the text is screen and the cusor scrolls
down to the bottom and then caries on scrolling for an extra  6? Lines.  The
same thing happens for any thing piped through more.  However when I telnet
to the machine vt100 term emulator all works just fine

What is also interesting is that term is set to 'sun' when I log in  setting
to  'vt100' or 'vt510' makes no difference. Setting it to VT510 in cap
forces vi to say I don't know the terminal so that works ?   Now the fact
that it's set to sun when the system starts leads me to believe that more is
going on hear that I first thought.    When I installed the  OS , I did
indeed have sun keyboard and  18" monitor attached.

I suspect that if I re-install using the VT as console the problem will go
avay (something I have to do anyway), but can some one shed some light on
what is going on ?

Julian Young (Julian.young@nl.compuware.com)
Software Engineer  - Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogooddreef 5. PO Box 12933 1100 AX  Amsterdam The Netherlands
Tel +31 (020) 3116302 Mobile +31 (06) 288 43652
All opinions etc. are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of
Compuware