Subject: Total newbie with some simple questions
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Trevor J. Mahan <tjmahan@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/27/2002 04:17:44
Hi

I picked up a really nice Sparc 5 from a corporate auction here locally.
It has an S24 Graphics card, a 10/100 Ethernet card, max ram of 256,
170mhz cpu, and 2x 4.3 gig HD's.  I'm running OS X on my G3 and really
liking the BSD roots, so I thought I tried NetBSD on this machine.

First question is about compatibility.  On the Sparc Linux the 170mhz
version of the Sparc 5 is not really supported....seems to crash often
according to sources on the net.  Is this true for NetBSD, or is there
full support?

Second question is whether there is any work being done for support of
the 24bit graphics card past the CG3 8 bit level.  If so, where would
and how would I install this.

Third, are the packages that are available on line such that they will
work on Sparc just by executing them?  Will I need to do any changes,
say, to get the Gimp to run or Afterstep?

Thanks for the help:)

Trevor J. Mahan
Gris Gris Designs