Subject: Sun console fonts
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/26/2002 01:39:49
Hello!

There's been some discussion about console fonts for the SLC and ELC
(it may also apply to other Sun frame buffers, I don't know).

Blake Matheny's SLC page lists these       1152 x  900   61.8kHz  66Hz
"sync frequencies for the onboard frame    1152 x  900   71.7kHz  76Hz
buffer".  Does the built-in monitor        1024 x  800   71.7kHz  85Hz
support all of these screen modes?         1022 x 1000   81.8kHz  76Hz

Can anyone offer any insight as to what the visible diagonal would be
on the monitor in whichever modes are supported?  I've seen them
described as having a 17" monitor, which I'm guessing puts the picture
at something like 16".  Although fonts won't be critical for me (I'm
not planning to do DTP on one), it might effect my choice of console
font.

Here's an example of my thinking...

  1024 x 768 @ 80 DPI is 12.8"x9.6" and 16" visible diagonal.
  12.8" x 10 CPI is 128 columns (8 pixel wide characters)
   9.6" x  5 LPI is  48 rows   (16 pixel high characters)

...ah well, none of the above modes fit that comfortably, although
1024 x 800 @ 80 DPI is just under 16.25" visible diagonal, and 85Hz
refresh would be nice. Come to think of it, that works out at 50 rows.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball                               ...anyone still awake? ;-)