Subject: Re: SPARCstation SLC/ELC
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/24/2002 11:47:28
Andy Ball said:

>Thanks for the suggestion.  I had been looking only at the single-
>processor SPARCstations. Although I can get hold of 30pin SIMMs easily
>enough, DIMMs might be more convenient.  The SPARCstation 10 airflow
>seems slightly odd though, and I'm guessing it might run hotter than
>an older (more sedate ;-) single-processor machine.

The minimum configuration for an SS10 was one 36Mhz or 40Mhz processor.
You can find them configured like that really cheap, and upgrade the
processors later if the box proves to be reliable. The later Ross hypersparc
modules are reputed to run cooler than the Sun SMxx modules.

One good place to buy memory is memoryx.com. They have a lot of Sun parts
and memory. At least for sparc 5, they have three grades of memory.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com