Subject: Re: older SPARCs and cable modem proxy...
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jack Morgan <yojack@jcom.home.ne.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/16/2002 00:56:05
On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:03:55PM -0500, Shannon wrote:

> I need to create a proxy/firewall/squid machine for someone using a
> cable modem.
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone who is using a low-end SPARC machine
> like a Classic or IPC/IPX.

Low-end sparcs make great firewall/proxy machines. One could argue that
in some sense they are "more secure" as there are less vulnerabilities
for sparc architecture when compared to say Intel architecture.

> Anyone think NetBSD and this machine with an extra ethernet card could
> handle 1-3 machines using it for a proxy? Firewall rules would be
> minimal (mostly port blocking) and it would only be acting as a gateway
> and running a copy of squid.

The IP Filter Based Firewalls HOWTO was a good resource for me.

--
jack_morgan			j-morgan@gol.com/yojack@jcom.home.ne.jp