Subject: Re: SS10 vs 3000/400
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/12/2002 10:47:59
> Is it possible to configure the SS10 so console messages
> automatically go to an external console connected to the serial port
> while the main monitor is used for X?

Probably.  I've never tried to myself; my 10 uses its cg6 for console
while I run X on the bw2 (and sometimes on the cg6 as well).

> This machine has a second frame buffer installed.  Can that be used
> for console messages

Yes.  In my (fairly limited) experience, if you have multiple
framebuffers, the one in the lowest-numbered SBus slot is console.

> or another X display,

Yes.  I've run it both as two screens on one server and as two servers.

> in which case there'd be one large "desktop" spread across the two
> monitors?

No, I've never seen this.  I've heard that there exist X servers which
can weld multiple displays into one X screen, but have never seen one.
To be sure, I've never gone looking, because in my case the displays
are heterogenous (cg6 and bw2), so even if the software did exist, it
would mean some kind of compromise I don't want to make.

Given what I know of the X Consortium sample server, I believe I could
build a ddx layer that split a single root across two identical
framebuffers.  It wouldn't be very performant, though. :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign