Subject: Re: multi processor
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/08/2002 19:21:07
On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:16:23PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:
> der Mouse said:
>
> >NetBSD supports a much wider range of machines (at least assuming that
> >what I've heard, that Solaris has dropped support for sun4 and sun4c,
> >is true).
>
> Yup. Solaris 8 dropped Sun4 and Sun4c. Solaris 9 drops Sun4m.

Deliberate dropping of system support is one big reason I like
things like BSD.

I have found software running on old machines where I needed some
minor upgrades and found that I could not get the existing OS
in it's latest version.  When the code was portable enough, I
have sometimes just moved the machine to NetBSD.

I got new features I needed, the company saved money, and it was
almost always a performance upgrade too.

What I really like is finding a machine destined for the trash because
"it is dead", and putting into service as a UNIX machine (often NetBSD)
and seeing the "dead" machine still in service years later.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com