Subject: Re: SEC / 501-1450 NIC
To: None <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/06/2002 10:00:41
----- Original Message -----
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@netbsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 7:07 AM

> On Wed, Feb 06 2002 at 05:54:19 -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >     I've been trying -- to no avail -- to get an "SEC" (AUI/10Base2
> > 501-1450) running
> > in a Classic.  It is recognized as le1 (or is it le0, can't recall)
during
> > the probe().
> Probably le1, since le0 is the onboard network interface which is probed
> first (with GENERIC).
>
> > Assigned an IP via /etc/ifconfig.le1.  But, no matter which media type I
> > choose,
> What happens if you don't choose a mediatype at all?
> (See below why it doesn't make sense with this NIC).
>
> Have you tried configuring it manually?
> (ifconfig le1 something netmask something)

Yes.  As well as letting ifconfig.le1 do it for me...

> What does a simple "ifconfig le1" say?

Same thing as le0 (except "le1" for each "le0", the IP that I
specified for le1 instead of le0's IP, etc.  see below)

Probe claims:
le1 at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0xc00000 level 7 address .....
(8 rx buf, 2 tx buf)

> > (and adjusting the DIP switch accordingly) I can't seem to get it to
> SW1 1-6 Off and 7-8 On for AUI?
> (This is what I use)

I have notes that claim this is what the 501-1881 version uses.
OTOH, the -1450 uses 1-8 off for AUI.  Note that the notes that describe the
1881 settings (what you have mentioned) imply that 7-8 control the
availability
of +12V to the AUI connector.  Since I can see power on the transceiver's
*power* LED... (can verify with a VOM if need be...)

> > send/receive
> > packets ("host is down" even when pinging it from localhost).
> I guess this means that the IP# has not been assigned to the network
> interface, maybe your ifconfig.le1 contains errors (does something show up
> in the boot messages?) or was not used because of some settings in
> rc.conf...

ifconfig -a
shows the interface as "up" (same flags as le0 -- 8863), lists the MAC
address (same as le0) along with the IP I assigned.  Media type is 10base5
instead of
"autoselect" (for le0).  IPv6 address the same except "%le1" appended
instead of
"%le0".  Status claims "no carrier" instead of "active"...

> >     The le man page doesn't explicitly list it as a supported NIC.  And,
the
> > "10base2"
> It's listet, this is a version of the normal AMD 7990 "le" NIC on an sbus
> card.  ("SEC" probably just means something like "Sun" or "Sbus" "Ethernet
> Controller").

I note SBE and FSBE (-1860 and -2015) are explicitly mentioned -- but not
"SEC"
(1.5.2R).  It is questionable whether the SEC supports a media type
option -- since
the DIP switch seems to imply this is manually configured.  Note that the
interface
doesn't "automatically attempt to switch to the other media" despite the
fact
that no carrier is found.

> You find it in Sunsolve's "handbook" here:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Ethernet/ETHER_Ethernet_Control
ler.html

> > media type is apparently not recognized as a valid option to ifconfig.
> You can't set the mediatype with ifconfig with this card since
> mediaselection is done in hardware. (I.e. with those DIP switches).
>
> But ifconfig doesn't complain if the mediatype option matches the
previously
> set mediatype that's why you don't get an error with "10base5" if the
> switches where set to 10base5.

"10Base2" is not accepted as an option to ifconfig when I attempt to do
this manually -- regardless of what position the DIP switches are in!

> > Leaving the
> > AUI/10base5 as the only real choice (I have verified power to the
> > transceiver
> > attached thereto).
> And can you check the tranceiver?

Removed the transceiver from le0 (same machine!) and installed on le1.
After verifying that it DIDN'T work, replaced it on le0 and verified that
the transceiver hadn't"coincidentally" died the instant I unplugged it from
le0...

> >     Does anyone have one of these running on a released kernel (1.5.2)?
> Yes, but with -current and not with 1.5.2. (shouldn't matter).

(sigh)  I'll just pull the card and use some other box as my routers...
(need 10Base2 on one I/F and 10BaseT -- the le0 interface! -- on
the other).  If I get a chance, I'll throw this in a Solaris box and
see if it works there...

Anyone have a (known working) pair of these they would like to part with???
:>

Thanks!
--don