Subject: Re: SEC / 501-1450 NIC
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/06/2002 15:07:52
On Wed, Feb 06 2002 at 05:54:19 -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:
> Greetings!
>     I've been trying -- to no avail -- to get an "SEC" (AUI/10Base2
> 501-1450) running
> in a Classic.  It is recognized as le1 (or is it le0, can't recall) during
> the probe().
Probably le1, since le0 is the onboard network interface which is probed
first (with GENERIC).

> Assigned an IP via /etc/ifconfig.le1.  But, no matter which media type I
> choose,
What happens if you don't choose a mediatype at all?
(See below why it doesn't make sense with this NIC).

Have you tried configuring it manually?
(ifconfig le1 something netmask something)
What does a simple "ifconfig le1" say?

> (and adjusting the DIP switch accordingly) I can't seem to get it to
SW1 1-6 Off and 7-8 On for AUI?
(This is what I use)

> send/receive
> packets ("host is down" even when pinging it from localhost).
I guess this means that the IP# has not been assigned to the network
interface, maybe your ifconfig.le1 contains errors (does something show up
in the boot messages?) or was not used because of some settings in
rc.conf...

>     The le man page doesn't explicitly list it as a supported NIC.  And, the
> "10base2"
It's listet, this is a version of the normal AMD 7990 "le" NIC on an sbus
card.  ("SEC" probably just means something like "Sun" or "Sbus" "Ethernet
Controller").

You find it in Sunsolve's "handbook" here:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Ethernet/ETHER_Ethernet_Controller.html

> media type is apparently not recognized as a valid option to ifconfig.
You can't set the mediatype with ifconfig with this card since
mediaselection is done in hardware. (I.e. with those DIP switches).

But ifconfig doesn't complain if the mediatype option matches the previously
set mediatype that's why you don't get an error with "10base5" if the
switches where set to 10base5.

> Leaving the
> AUI/10base5 as the only real choice (I have verified power to the
> transceiver
> attached thereto).
And can you check the tranceiver?

>     Does anyone have one of these running on a released kernel (1.5.2)?  I
Yes, but with -current and not with 1.5.2. (shouldn't matter).

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.