Subject: Re: Disk copy grumbles
To: der Mouse <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/04/2002 00:47:58
> der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> said:

> >> I'm wondering if your ROM version has the 6-byte-CDB limit.  [...]
> > So, this is yet another caveat that isn't documented in the man
> > page??
>
> Right.  Whether it belongs in the installboot manpage is arguable,
> because the bug is not in installboot but in the ROM code that gets

By way of analogy, where are the 1024 cylinder restrictions for the
i386 BIOS spelled out for that "port"?  Isn't this a comparable
"caveat"?

> used by the first-stage booter.  And installboot can't tell even
> whether the current machine has the bug, never mind whether the machine
> the boot will be attempted on does.
>
> However, it ideally should be documented somewhere, with a warning and
> a pointer in the installboot manpage.  Perhaps even an installboot-time
> warning if any of the block numbers are high enough to cause trouble
> would be worthwhile, though it could be just annoying noise for people
> who aren't stuck with afflicted ROM revs.

Or, at least in the FAQ someplace:  "I restored my system from a backup and
now it won't boot..."   "My / partition on my 5GB drive is only 10MB yet
the loader can't find /boot..."   etc.

--don