Subject: Re: Disk copy grumbles
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/03/2002 21:13:16
>> I'm wondering if your ROM version has the 6-byte-CDB limit.  [...]
> So, this is yet another caveat that isn't documented in the man
> page??

Right.  Whether it belongs in the installboot manpage is arguable,
because the bug is not in installboot but in the ROM code that gets
used by the first-stage booter.  And installboot can't tell even
whether the current machine has the bug, never mind whether the machine
the boot will be attempted on does.

However, it ideally should be documented somewhere, with a warning and
a pointer in the installboot manpage.  Perhaps even an installboot-time
warning if any of the block numbers are high enough to cause trouble
would be worthwhile, though it could be just annoying noise for people
who aren't stuck with afflicted ROM revs.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign