Subject: Re: Disk copy grumbles
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/03/2002 00:29:43
On Sat, Feb 02 2002 at 15:45:09 -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:
>     Figured I could install the smaller drive at say ID 4 (the 400M
> set at ID 3).  Boot the system to single user (for installboot).  Then
>     disklabel -e sd1    # single partition
>     newfs sd1a
>     cd /usr/mdec
>     installboot boot bootxx /dev/rsd1a
That's wrong, see installboot(8) for details.

Try this:
mount /dev/sd1a /mnt
# copy the second stage booter, if it's not already there.
cp -p /usr/mdec/boot /mnt/boot
# install bootblock and point it to the second stage booter
/usr/mdec/installboot /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rsd1a

>     mount /dev/rsd1a /mnt
>     cd /
>     tar cpf - <pattern> | ( cd /mnt; tar xvpf - )    # yes, easier ways to
> do this
And faster, better. tar doesn't care about hardlinks (and other stuff).
I would use dump:
cd /mnt;dump -0f /|restore -xf -

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.