Subject: OT: China Syndrome
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/01/2002 02:24:32
Hello Don!

  DY> No, you do *that* by raising the supply voltage to Vpp
    > (12.5 volts, nominally) and letting it sit there until
    > the leadframe glows cherry red.  Then, throw the chip
    > and the box it came in out and replace with ANYTHING
    > else...  :>

I wasn't aware that PCs needed any assistance to overheat.
That said the VIA C3 and even (dare I say it?) the Celeron
1.2GHz seem to be baby steps in the right direction (even if
they are poor wee x86 CISC chips).  Still, I'm not going to
give up hope on RISC yet... hands up everyone who's seen the
"Tom's Hardware Guide" video of Athlon XP going quite
literally up in smoke!

Best reply via email, this has nothing to do with NetBSD
/sparc.  I suppose it could spawn a thread on cooling
(vertical card cages make sense to me ;-) ...but even that's
a bit tenuous.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.