Subject: Re: SPARCstation 2 boot options
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/2002 12:18:42
Hello Kurt!

  KJL> ...Probably, but making boot tapes is a loveless task,
     > fraught with peril.
     >
     > Burning CD-ROMs is cheap fast and pretty damn
     > painless.  Not to mention loading off them doesn't
     > suck much.

Sounds as though CD-ROM might be the preferred option then.
Am I right in thinking that I need to get a CD-ROM drive
that supports 512 byte sectors, and set the ID to 6?

If I went the floppy route (least cost option), would I be
able to write the boot diskette(s) on a PC with dd?  The
FAQ seems to describe building them from source. Do you know
if pre-built diskette images are available somewhere?  I'm
not sure how I would go about cross-compiling them on NetBSD
/i386.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.