Subject: Re: SPARCstation 2 boot options
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/2002 17:12:50
On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm /this/ close <pinches fingers together like kids-in-the-
> hall head-squashing guy> to picking up a SPARCstation 2 with
> the specific hope of running NetBSD/sparc on it.  I have
> NetBSD/i386 running on some PCs, so might be able to netboot
> it.  I'm interested in knowing what other boot options are
> open to me. The NetBSD/sparc FAQ mentions boot floppies. Can
> a SPARCstation 2 (2.4.1 firmware) be coaxed into booting
> from its diskette drive?  What about a CD-ROM drive?  Tape?

I have an SS1 that booted fine from floppies (after I fixed a hardware
problem). I have no idea what level of firmware is needed... You can also
boot from CD or tape, yeah. Sparcs are quite ubiquitous and there aren't
too many problems that can't be solved in order to make it run NetBSD as
far as I can tell.

I say buy it and don't have any worries. It can't be that expensive right?
You'll probably pay more for the cabling adapters than the actual
machine...

Andy

acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org