Subject: Re: Two questions
To: Randall Stewart <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/2002 08:47:56
On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Randall Stewart wrote:
# 1) It seems that since I have switched to building the
#    kernel with a -g/DEBUG option set I end up compiling
#    about 3 or 4 times until I get a success. The failed
#    attempts ususally end with a SIGBUS or some other such
#    thing (error 139 and a core). This seems to happen during
#    the ld of the kernel. I have tried playing a bit with the
#    ulimits to see if it is something like that .. but no luck
#    yet. The machine is not swapping (its got 64Meg) and the loader
#    is getting around 32+ meg... Anyone have any idea what tuneable
#    I need to tweak to get a compile every time :-0

Have you verified that your memory is good?  This looks like a bad
memory error to me, especially since the loader is reporting less
memory than you actually have.

# 2) When I crash into DDB I have a nice stack trace and such
#    but after reboot 0x100 and then in to gdb netbsd.gdb with the core I
#    can't trace the stack... The last time I wrote down the stack
#    trace and was able to debug with the addresses and such and
#    figure out my foobar.. but this is a real pain and makes it
#    difficult to say the least... when I do the ps -.... to
#    get the process addresses they all show up as 0... Any ideas
#    on how I can make my kdb a bit easier? I am sure I will
#    be in it a few more times before my SCTP work is over :0

Does it actually dump a core properly?  Does savecore recover it?
...are you calling gdb correctly?

# Thanks
#
# R
# --
# Randall R. Stewart
# randall@stewart.chicago.il.us 815-342-5222 (cell phone)

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Where would you have rather been today, tomorrow?