Subject: am7990 problems(flakiness) on ss10 with NetBSD-1.5.2
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Mayo <orange@rm-f.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/2002 13:30:58
My ss10 has ethernet woes. I can only get about 1 or 2 packets through out of
50. This makes ARP very slow and dhcp next to impossible. I am not certain if
it's a misconfiguration my my part or an actual kernel bug(I am relatively new
to netbsd).

I've done the following things:
	* search the netbsd bug database for any bugs relating to am7990. Nothing
	  was open that looked applicable.
	* tried 1.5.2 on my ss20(single cpu). works fine, should be almost the
	  same ethernet chipset, perhaps a revision or two more recent.
	* tried SuSE/Linux-2.2.16 on my ss10. Ethernet works great(of course that
	  version of linux has other problems which makes it undesiriable to run
	  on that machine.) I managed to do 453916 pings on it and only dropped 2
	  packets(ping -f)

I have a sparcstation10 with the following configuration(i doubt most of this
applies to the problem, but better to have too much info than not enough i
suppose):
	two dual 36Mhz TI SuperSparc modules (that's a total of four cpus)
	Onboard AMD Lance ethernet (am7990.c)
	412Mb hdd.
	32Mb ram

Of course I'm currently only using one cpu since smp on 1.5.2 does not exist
afaik. Planning on trying some of the experimental stuff once i get this
working.

What else should I try to work around this problem? Is it a legitmate bug? Is
there anything I can do to help someone with fixing this bug?

I'm downloading 1.5ZA snapshot, but it's slow going on the 56K. I'm going to
try that next.

Thanks in advance.

--
 | _o) | Jon Mayo / OrangeTide |O  __   |