Subject: Re: ESP SCSI controller errors?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/2002 19:01:58
Hi,

as the original submitter in this thread I'd like to speak up again.

I'll just note the following:

 o The config of the machine in question has remained the same over a
   *long* period, and is a copied GENERIC with stuff commented out.

 o I am unsure whether the error messages of the form

   esp0: !TC on DATA XFER [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 1, resid=
 c00

   is indicative of "drive rot" or "driver rot".  I've considered
   installing another drive in the machine, but if the driver is at
   fault that effort will be wasted.  Comments appreciated.

 o The machine does not pop out into DDB on the above mentioned error,
   so I'm not sure how I can assess whether the DMA address is properly=

   aligned.  Only after a "critical spot" is affected by one of these
   errors (apparently some data is not transferred), it will panic from=

   the secondary effects, usually with a slightly curdled file system.

 o Yes, it would be Really Nice if this was easily reproducible.  So fa=
   I've however not come up with a method (admittedly, I've not tried
   very hard).

Regards,

- H=E5vard