Subject: Re: Sparc 5 newbie stuff
To: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/25/2002 23:44:24
On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 07:06:33PM -0600, Peter Eisch wrote:

> > The reason I ask is that I do get fairly decent speed out of my little
> > SS5, and I've seen some dirt cheap prices on used wide controllers,
> > but didn't get them because I figure the machine is too slow to make
> > use of them.

> I've done it.  It made my SS5 perform like an Ultra 2.  No, it didn't,
> really.  It was faster, but in my case the need was to use a disk array that
> had useful nuggets from the SS20.
>
> It is a good point though.

Any rough idea how much faster?

cat'ing a 30MB file from one filesystem to another, on different drives,
iostat reports the reads and writes both are around 3MB/sec.

Anyone else with an SS5... is this about what you see?  Anyone with
a wide controller, can your system run significantly better?

I have a pair of IBM 9GB UW SCSI drives, and I know they are capable of
running as fast (far faster actually) as this machine can read/write so
they shouldn't be a bottleneck.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist