Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5.2 on IPX boot problems...
To: Portsparc <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: William Barnett-Lewis <wlewis@mailbag.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/2002 20:01:39
Rick Kelly wrote:

> William Barnett-Lewis said:
>
> >The problem is that some of the old IPX's and SS2's had bad cache chips
> >in the chip set. The only way to tell is if you get an error msg on
> >booting NetBSD. I was able to get my IPX to use the Weitek by swapping
> >in a good cache chip from an otherwise dead IPX. It's really a trial and
> >error kind of thing.
>
> Do you mean this line in dmesg:
>
> cpu0 at mainbus0: cache chip bug; trap page uncached: CY7C601 @ 40 MHz, TMS390C602A FPU

That's the one. Bad cache chip that will not play nice with Weitek +
NetBSD. Kernal panics every time. Took me forever to track down why and
it didn't help that Mr. OpenBSD didn't believe me because his IPX worked
right...

> >There should be more in the archive around April - May ish of 2001 from
> >my tribulations. I since moved onto a Sun Blade 100.
>
> Do you have NetBSD running on the Sun Blade 100?

Not supported yet and I honestly don't have time to hack on the USB
support. When there is a snapshot that looks good I'll probably add a
disk and start bashing on it. Even then I'm more likely to try to get X
working on my Vaxstation 4000 instead.

> --
> Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com

William
--
You better watch out    What you wish for;
It better be worth it   So much to die for.