Subject: Re: Sparc 5 newbie stuff
To: Kurt J. Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/2002 14:16:13
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Kurt J. Lidl wrote:

# On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:44:18PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
# > I haven't even figured out exactly what it's for.  Actually, that's not quite
# > true:  I have a vague belief that the idea is that I can have a read-only
# > /usr/src, NFS-mounted to hell and back, and everyone uses /home/obj for
# > builds, and it All Just Works.
#
# The big idea for the obj subdirectory stuff had to do with the belief
# that you would have your /usr/src on one drive, and /usr/obj on a
# second drive.

*sigh*.

This really needs to be worked around.  I have a good guesstimation of
how big to make /usr/src, but I have more of a problem figuring out how
big /usr/src separated from /usr/obj ought to be.

# Then when you did "make obj" at the top of the tree, the /usr/obj tree
# would be populated with a directory hierarchy, and the /usr/src tree
# would be symlinked into the /usr/obj tree.  Then as you did
# "make depend" and finally "make all", the /usr/obj tree would get all
# the .o files, along with the binaries and formated man pages.

This is sensible, but I should still be able to put /usr/obj pointing
anywhere I want it, including /usr/src/obj.  This used to work.

				--*greywolf;
--
If anyone requests a reason as to why Windows NT is inferior to UNIX,
refer them to the process scheduler, for starters.  Of course, users