Subject: Re: Sparc 5 newbie stuff
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/2002 11:33:42
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Peter Seebach wrote:

# So, my Sparc 5 became available for whatever I feel like running on it.  My
# first idea was to try setting it up running NetBSD.  I've put in a pair of
# drives, and I'm pretty sure they're both Ultra2/Wide/LVD.  I expected them
# to show up as Fast/Wide or Ultra/Wide, but in fact, they're just showing up
# as Fast/Narrow.  Does the SS5 not support wide devices?

Not unless you get a wide SBUS card (Sun and Qlogic make them).

# Anyway, the main reason I'm writing is that I'm having very weird behavior
# from "build.sh".  I'm running a 1.5Y snapshot, with a 1.5ZA kernel built
# last night or so.  If I don't set BSDOBJDIR, I get a complaint that /usr/obj
# doesn't exist while build.sh is trying to bootstrap nbmake.  If I set it to,
# say, /usr/src/obj, and make a directory /usr/src/obj, it goes for quite a
# while, then fails because of too many symlinks - and /usr/src/obj has become a
# symlink to /usr/src/obj.

:)  I got bit by that recently, too, on i386.  The explanation I was
given is that "yes it is broken and needs to be fixed".  The solutions I
was offered were 1. Don't put your objects in /usr/src/obj, and 2. Don't
use objdirs at all.

I opted for the second.  If it's not gonna work as advertised, I'm not
gonna use it at all.

# Since I used this same source tree to build on an alpha (yes, I did a make
# cleandir before copying it over), and build.sh worked there, I'm pretty
# confused.

You got it to work?  I'm impressed.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: the free unix for the rest of us.