Subject: Re: "make release" works on sparc64 for cross.
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/2002 09:15:03
On 23 Jan 2002, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

: > i think the easiest way around this is to remove the need for
: > the hard coded set of bootblocks and manage loading /boot by
: > name like the alpha & pmax do (both who have typically much
: > larger object code than sparc :-).  anyone want to work on this? :-)
:
: It isn't possible to do on every platform, regardless of our
: desires. I would suggest instead that we rig up makefs or some other
: tool to simply tell us the block numbers so we can feed them into a
: modified installboot. We'll be needing this in other places.

mkisofs provides block numbers that are used for precisely this purpose in
order to make CD images bootable.  It should be possible for makefs to do
the same.

(Of course, if makefs is sane enough to make /boot use *contiguous* blocks,
that makes the job much easier.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/