Subject: Re: Why no 128-bit FPU?
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/23/2002 18:32:09
On 24 Jan 2002 eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

# | I must confess this message looks a bit odd coming from the sparc64
# | spearhead; have you had enough coffee yet?
# |
# | Since the SPARC port is 64-bit fpu/v8, wouldn't supporting 128-bit/v9
# | on it be *forward* compatible?
# |
# | or is it I who have not yet consumed adequate doses of caffeine and
# | hence am misunderstanding your question?
# |
# | # Is there some reason the sparc port does not support
# | # the 128-bit FPU emulation and v9 instructions?  It should
# | # be backwards compatible?
#
# If you look at the size of `long double' in sol 8 you'll find it's
# 16.

...does Sol 8 support the sun4m architecture?  I know it won't run
on the sun4c.

# Eduardo

				--*greywolf;
--