Subject: Re: problems with pkgsrc/audio/nas vs. SPARCstation-1 vs. libossaudio
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <kk@enteract.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/22/2002 16:44:39
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Well I finally got one of my SS1+ workstations running a much closer to
> -current NetBSD (2001/06/24).
>
> I tested the audioamd driver and I could finally play AU files, both
> with audioplay and by simply writing them to /dev/audio.
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to record anything, neither from
> my official Sun microphone, nor from the microphone on my headset.  I
> think both mics are OK, but I've no easy way to test them at the moment.
>
> So I built audio/nas and tried it anyway.  Unfortunately all that
> resulted was an excruciating and heavily distorted noise that was only
> barely recognisable as possibly being vaguely related to the almost
> pleasing sound that audioplay creates when playing the same file.  (the
> NAS 'auplay' client plays the same file equally nicely on my NCD HMX
> terminal)

snip

> I'm thinking this apparent problem with libossaudio might be part of the
> problem, but I'm at a loss to where to go from here....

I have the same problem.  Playing a pre-recorded audio file works fine
on
a sun4c.  Recording and then playing back gives a terrible noise.  I
tried
this with audiorecord, audioplay and cat /dev/audio.  I've tried this on
IPC running 1.4.3 and a SS2 running 1.5.2.  I'm guessing there is
something
wrong with the driver?  I was hoping to use one of these older
sparcstations
to decode the WWV/CHU audio signals that NTP supports.

-Ken