Subject: Re: Magma 2+1HS Sp: success!
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/21/2002 17:36:38
>> My Magma 2+1HS Sp now works, at least for smoke-test values of
>> "works".  [...]

The driver used to accept any baud rate (within certain ranges).  I've
changed it now so that (a) it rejects baud rates that it can't achieve
to within one part in 128 error and (b) sets the baud rate it actually
uses into the termios structure, so when you fetch the baud rate you
get the one it's actually using rather than the one you asked for.  I
considered having it reject any baudrate it couldn't achieve to within
1 baud error, but decided that since "common" baudrates like 9600
aren't achievable to within 1 baud, that would be relatively unuseful.

> Do you expect this board to be able to handle at least 115Kbps?

If you ask for 115200, boards with 20MHz clock (like mine) give you
113636.36363636...; boards with 25MHz clock (the ones the driver
supported already) give you 115740.740740740.....  The former is
1.3573+% low, the latter 0.469393+% high.  Both are within tolerance
for most serial protocols.

> I had always heard these cards and some others can go reasonably
> fast, but never bought one because of what I heard about the drivers.

Boards with 20MHz clock can in theory go as fast as 2.5 megabaud;
25MHz, 3.125 megabaud.  You'd have to be nuts to try it, IMO. :-)  The
NetBSD driver before I started with it refused any baudrate over 150
kilobaud; one of the things I did was to remove that limit.

I'll be happy to send a copy of my modified magma driver to anyone who
wants it.  I expect to soon have the patch file for it up for ftp with
the rest of my private patch tree, too.

> I have a Sun serial board, but have no idea what kind of speeds it
> can handle.  Do you know anything about them?

No.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign