Subject: Re: ss5 audio on headphones/lineout
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/17/2001 06:19:50
On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 01:04:59 +0100, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> I'm running 1.5.2 on a Sparcstation 5 with an onboard CS4231A sound
> device (audiocs).  Playing mp3s via mpg123 works fine but I can
> only play on the internal speaker.
> mpg123 -oh or -ol are intended to use the headphones/lineout port
> but it doesn't have any effect.  The audioctl utility prints:
> play.port=0x0
> play.avail_ports=0x0
>
> and I cannot change the port to something else than 0 (which I
> guess is the internal speaker.)
> Any solutions to this problem out there?

The driver seems to hardcode this.  Linux driver implies that ad1848
PIN control register bits XCTL0_ENABLE and XCTL1_ENABLE are used to
control line out and headphones mute, but I haven't tried that yet.

Also, from a very brief investigationtesting it seems like a driver
has some problems with stereo - at least I hear stereo effecs
differently when I listen via headphones plugged into cs4231 boxes.

Working on cs4231 driver is on my todo list (since I need to factor
out DMA code for the sake of EBus attachment).

SY, Uwe