Subject: Re: Busted NVRAM (was Re: add on to sysinst dumps)
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/10/2001 03:06:34
On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Brad Spencer wrote:

> The NVRAM can be reprogrammed from the PROM, the Sun HW FAQ will tell you
> how.  I have done this to an IPC and a 3/80 with success.  What is "hard"
> is recovering the MAC address itself, if you don't know it.  Although,
> this is not a critical problem.  The contents will likely be lost, again,
> when the AC power goes away, but it may survive short off/on cycles, if
> needed.
>
> New NVRAM chips can be purchased from Mouser Electronics.  I did this,
> later, to the IPC and 3/80 with great success.  The FAQ will tell you how
> to reprogram them, once replaced.

I've just tried to solder a batter onto the old NVRAM. I would say that's
an exercise in brain surgery. Found the part at Mouser for $12.80 before
shipping. Even though that's more than the machine is worth (saw a
SparcStation 2 go for $8.99 on ebay yesterday), I'm going to go for it
anyway. I now have the slowest machine on my block! Might as well make it
useable...

Thanks for everyone's help.

Andy

acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org