Subject: Re: Busted NVRAM (was Re: add on to sysinst dumps)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/09/2001 17:01:31
On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, der Mouse wrote:

> The NVRAM FAQ has lots of suggestions on this.  It borders on trivial
> to just reload it in the dead-battery NVRAM; if the machine is "never"
> actually powered off (as opposed to merely shut down and/or rebooted),
> this may be workable.  New NVRAMs are available for not too much money;
> I've seen prices in the USD 20.00-30.00 range.  And with a file and a
> little patience, you can solder on a new battery without much trouble;
> I've seen directions and I've done it myself based on them....

Why thank you Sir Mouse. You have saved me from my ignorance. That FAQ,
which I missed before, explained how I can just change the mac bytes
stored in NVRAM to something reasonable, wihch I did. Problem is, I've turned
on ssh and the damn thing has taken about a half hour so far to generate the
keys, and it's still not done! Pitiful. Fills my role to build the slowest
web server in my town though! I'll have to retire my 486DX33...

I think I will look for that method to solder in a new battery because
with $20 I could probably buy 20 of these machines... I see that Sparc 2's
are going for less than $10 on ebay...

> /~\ The ASCII
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML	       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
> / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Hee hee. I'm a staunch supporter of your campaign!

Andy

acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org