Subject: Re: Busted NVRAM (was Re: add on to sysinst dumps)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/09/2001 02:57:02
> Looks like there's a way to hardcode the mac address so I can get the
> thing up on the network.  What a pain!  Any suggestions as how to fix
> the NVRAM causing the mac address to go to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff other
> than hardcoding it and rebuilding the kernel?

The NVRAM FAQ has lots of suggestions on this.  It borders on trivial
to just reload it in the dead-battery NVRAM; if the machine is "never"
actually powered off (as opposed to merely shut down and/or rebooted),
this may be workable.  New NVRAMs are available for not too much money;
I've seen prices in the USD 20.00-30.00 range.  And with a file and a
little patience, you can solder on a new battery without much trouble;
I've seen directions and I've done it myself based on them....

If you have trouble finding the NVRAM FAQ (start from the NetBSD/sparc
webpages, or maybe throw "Sun", "NVRAM", and "FAQ" at a Web search
engine), write me off-list and I can probably chase down a pointer.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign