Subject: Re: Porting code
To: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/29/2001 17:19:30
> >Your source license could say anything -- it's a contract between you
> >and someone who might have some rights to the software in question.
> >It could say something about whether or not you have the right to
> >modify or redistribute modifications.
>

> I *know* I can't redistribute the source -- modified or not.
> My question lies in redistributing *diffs* against that source.
> In the extreme case, I imagine I can distribute diffs that
> contain no *context* of the original source against which
> they are applied...

once again, it's impossible to answer this question without a copy of
the license.  I know of software license agreements which expressly
prohibit distribution of patches in any form; I also know of ones
which require patches to be distributed via the vendor's
access-controlled site; no doubt there are others.

					- Bill