Subject: ROM Images
To: Port-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/29/2001 13:08:10
Greetings and Prevarications! (?)
    I am planning to burn new boot ROMs for the various
SPARCs I have here (SS1+, SS2, IPC, Classic, LX).  The images at
http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick/data/bootroms.html are newer
than the versions I have for several of these -- though, the site
doesn't have the "newest" images for the SS1+ and LX  :-(
    Is there a way by which I can dump the contents of the
ROM directly to a little file?  I.e. write a little routine
that copies a region of memory into a file.
    This would require the ROM to be mapped to logical
address someplace -- where?  And, would require *it*
(or an *exact* copy of it) and not a modified form of
the image (i.e., if the bootrom copies only a portion or
modified instance of itself into ram).
    Does anyone know if this is possible?  If the ROM is mapped
always (or if it is swapped out after boot)?  Etc.

    I can, of course, just read the actual ROMs once installed
in the PROM programmer (to be overwritten) but would have liked
to be able to poke around them *before* doing this.
    I have emailed the author of said URL just to see how
*he* obtained the images he has posted...

Thanks!
--don