Subject: Re: Hardware questions
To: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
From: Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/28/2001 02:48:29
At 9:32 PM -0600 11/26/01, Don Yuniskis wrote:
>I *would* be curious, though, to hear if others *have*
>seen memory problems that truly were "defects" and not
>just "poorly installed" parts, etc.

My SGI Indy, equipped with a whopping 64 megs of true-parity 72 pin simms,
has had two parity errors while I've owned it, both in the same simm. I
recall cleaning and reseating the simms after the first occurrance.

I think those are the only two times I've managed to crash it, too. Solid
machines, they are. (Current uptime is 76 days)

Scared the shit out of me the first time it happened. I was just chugging
along in netscape, clicked on a link and waited for the page to load - then
all of a sudden -textconsole- *BEEEEEEEEEEP* "Parity error detected in Simm
A2, dumping crashlog..."

Then there was the time I got a bad vram simm for my Mac Centris 610. Some
bad columns or something, made the video look just a wee bit fucked...

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--
Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya@apia.dhs.org
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada           --           http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/