Subject: Re: Axil HWS310
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/27/2001 17:22:18
Greetings and Recriminations!

>Hauke Fath uttered:

>>It could be that NBSD hammers on the SCSI bus a bit more and, at
>>the higher data rate, might lead to some ringing in a poorly
>>terminated cable... (?)
>
>Running Solaris 8, the machine is my main nfs & atalk fileserver, runs an
>Amanda server for backup, runs C News... can't do much more hammering. No
>drive-related quirks in more than a year. Bonnie maxes out the drives at
>9+ MB/sec.

Agreed.  Though it is obviously possible that something inherent
in the NBSD driver hammers on them in slightly different ways
(i.e. possibly issuing back-to-back requests with less recovery
time, etc.)

<shrug>  Dunno.  I'm just tossing ideas hoping you (or anyone else!)
might stumble on something that rings a bell...

>Back then, I slapped NetBSD onto the machine more out of curiosity. I
>wanted it to route over ISDN, so Solaris was the only option. The kernel
>performs great, and thanks to Zoularis, userland is bearable.  ;)

--don