Subject: Re: Hardware questions
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/26/2001 22:58:17
> I *would* be curious, though, to hear if others *have* seen memory
> problems that truly were "defects" and not just "poorly installed"
> parts, etc.

It may not be quite what you want, but in my collection of RAM, I have
three SIMMs that I keep very carefully separate from the rest.  They
are "known bad", and I never put them into a machine except to check
whether its memory self-test is capable of catching them.

However, I feel sure all were in service at some point, and quite
possibly failed in service.

I've also had Sun-3/60s start to crash randomly in ways that I
attribute to overheating of the RAM.  (Replacing the RAM and putting
them in enclosures with good cooling made the crashes go away.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign