Subject: Re: Hardware questions
To: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/26/2001 15:05:03
on 11/26/01 2:23 PM, David Laight at David.Laight@btinternet.com wrote:

>>>  Are you stating that the network interface on the motherboard is
>>>  implemented in an inferior manner?  I.e. no DMA, etc.?
>>
>> That's been my experience, yes.  On the networks I've worked on,
>> we never used the built-in interface for most of our machines -- we
>> always bought a good-quality dedicated NIC.  Not a single
>> manufacturer that I know of will put the extra memory and other chips
>> required into having a decent built-in NIC on the motherboard -- it
>> may just be pennies per board, but they're still too cheap to do it.
>
> Not true for sbus sparc systems....

Okay, I'll bite.

le0 at ledma0 slot 15 offset 0xc00000 level 6: address 08:00:20:1c:90:50
le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
lebuffer0 at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x40000: 128K memory
le1 at lebuffer0 slot 2 offset 0x60000 level 4 (ipl 7): address
08:00:20:1c:90:50
le1: 64 receive buffers, 16 transmit buffers

Which one is on my SS20 motherboard, the 8/2 rx/tx nic or the 64/16 rx/tx
nic?

Now, if you would have cited the sparc64 hardware I would have kept quiet.