Subject: Re: Hardware questions
To: Don Yuniskis , Port-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/26/2001 01:30:13
On 11/25/01 1:56 AM, Don Yuniskis at auryn@gci-net.com wrote:

>    The IPC/SS1+/SS2 appear to take "normal" (heh heh heh...
> what's *that*??) 30 pin SIMMs.  But, the LX/Classic seem to
> use a "modified" 72 pin SIMM.  Looking through the FAQ
> confirms this -- 33 bit instead of 32 or 36.  Can someone
> identify a good (read that as "inexpensive"  :>) source
> for these?

Actually, you can use 36-bit SIMMs, as well.  I do this in my IPXes and used
to do it in my ELCs, when I ran a couple of those.

In fact, if you turn on the debugging software switch (something like
'setenv debug-switch? true' at the "ok" PROM prompt), when the machine
resets, you will see RAM tests done, and then a message saying something
like "switching to 33 bit parity mode" or "switching to 36 bit parity mode."
So, if you use 36-bit SIMMs, you'll actually be making use of the extra
parity bits for additional data integrity protection.

As a friend of mine says, "I'd never run a machine with only one parity bit
for 32 bits of data."

Cheers, and enjoy your Sparc hardware!
- Geoff