Subject: Re: Hardware questions
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/26/2001 00:42:05
> There are single slot sbus NICs out there aplenty; I do not know if
> there are ones with 10BaseT ports, but I own one with AUI and
> 10Base2.

I have seen a number of single-slot SBus cards that provide Ethernet.

Some of them also provide SCSI; I have seen two sorts of these.  One
sort has SCSI and a 10baseT jack; the other sort has SCSI and a funny
idiosyncratic connector, and external cables which break it out to
either 10baseT or AUI.  This sort also has on-card jumpers to select
whether you're using 10baseT or AUI - I've never experimented to see
what happens if you set the jumpers wrong for the external cable you're
using.

I've also got some (again, single-slot) cards which have no SCSI, but
do have both AUI and 10base2 connectors on the back.

> Point being: The cards you are looking for (with 10Base2 ethernet) DO
> exist.

Indeed they do.  I own two of them. :-)

> There also exist, if you need one, AUI --> 10Base2 transceivers,
> although I suspect these are much harder to find nowadays.

I also own four of these, and have two more on indefinite long-term
loan which will probably never be recalled.  I never use 10base2 any
more except for machines that have nothing else, like a DECstation I
was playing with not so very long ago.  If you're not too far away, I
could probably set up a little 10base2 setup to test these and post you
a couple; they're not doing anyone any good sitting on the shelf.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign