Subject: Hardware questions
To: Port-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/24/2001 23:56:02
Greetings!
    Forgive the naivite of these questions -- SPARCs are
relatively "new" to me... <:-)

    I have been picking up various older boxes from local
university's surplus department and trying to get some
useful life out of them.  So far, with a good deal of
success (1.5.2 running on an LX, IPC's, Classic's, SS2 and
an SS1+).  But, a good deal of the hardware is currently
being held together with "bubble gum and silly putty" :>
     Since these are coming out of surplus property, anything
that is VAGUELY useable gets "pulled" before they are
sold off.  Obviously, disk drives, SIMMs, cables, etc. are
not likely to hang around!

     The SS1+ and SS2 appear to use some form of bracket
to mount the drives to the chassis (?).  While I happened
to have a few extra drives to make the machines *run*, I
currently don't have a reliable way of fastening those
drives to the chassis (unless I just start drilling
holes and screw them down).
     Can someone describe what these look like?  Perhaps
I might be able to spot something similar in my next visit
to the surplus shop.  Or, do they have some "special value"
(like SIMMs?) that causes them to be stripped from the
machines before sale?  (I had assumed their removal was
just a consequence of someone having pulled the drives, too!)

     Likewise, each of these machines have "slots" for
daughterboards -- three per machine, I think (though the
LX/Classic/IPC seem to have only 2?).  The unused slots
leave gaping holes in the back of the chassis -- which I
assume is not intended!  :>  I guess some masking tape
or bits of cardboard could plug them up... But, are there
some sort of "plug" that fits these openings?  If so,
what do they look like (again, so I know what to look
for...)

     The IPC/SS1+/SS2 appear to take "normal" (heh heh heh...
what's *that*??) 30 pin SIMMs.  But, the LX/Classic seem to
use a "modified" 72 pin SIMM.  Looking through the FAQ
confirms this -- 33 bit instead of 32 or 36.  Can someone
identify a good (read that as "inexpensive"  :>) source
for these?

     Also, I would like recommendations for NIC's that
implement "10MHz" ethernet with AUI or AUI/10Base2 (!)
interfaces.  Obviously, this would let me turn boxes
into small routers...

     Lastly (and most challenging!), I would appreciate
any pointers towards a *Pertec* interface "daughterboard"
for any of these machines.  I need to support some 9 track's
and figure it woul dbe easier to port a 9 track driver I
wrote for an x86 based interface than it would be to
locate a SCSI-Pertec bridge!

     Thanks for your kind patience!
--don