Subject: Re: booting problems after install on IPC
To: None <UberTechnoid@Home.com>
From: Michael Maciolek <mikem@noop.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/12/2001 16:24:51
   On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:42:42PM -0500, UberTechnoid@Home.com wrote:

   > You are on the right track (sortof).

Them's fightin' words!  Yew wanna step outside?

   > The boot proceedure for older Sparcs is like so:
   >
   > b sd(0,18,0)

I stand by my original message.  Your description is accurate for
_other_ members of the early Sparc line, but not the IPC, nor for any
other members of the Sun4c architecture (Sparc1, Sparc1+, IPC, SLC,
Sparc2, IPX and ELC).

I received personal email from Curtis Collicutt in which he confirmed
that he was able to boot his IPC using sd(0,4,0).  And I've got a
number of sun4c boxen myself, including Sparc1, IPC, IPX, Sparc2 and
ELC.  (I am _not_ trying to complete the collection, please do _not_
send me offers of Sparc1+ or SLC boxes. :-)  Thank you.)

If you have a detailed list of exactly which machines _do_ use the
(SCSI_ID * 8 + LUN) method of computing the disk unit number, I'm
sure it would be helpful to others who might be struggling with the
same problems.

Regards,

Mike